“Let us choose to unite the powers of markets with
the authority of universal principles.”
The nine principles of The Global Compact
On human rights, companies are asked to:
1. Support and respect the protection of international rights within their sphere of influence.
2. Make sure their own corporation are not complicit in human rights abuses.
On labour rights, companies are asked to uphold:
3. Freedom of association and effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
4. The elimination of all form of forced and compulsory labour.
5. The effective abolition of child labour.
6. The elimination of discrimination n respect of employment and occupation.
On the environment, companies are asked to:
7. Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
8. Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
9. Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.